This is an app. Please make that clear. I was contacted and asked to review this app honestly in return for a hardcover of my choosing.
Since this is not a book review, I’ll be setting things out a bit differently.
What is it?
It’s basically an app that lets you read mainly adult books. The key thing is that it only summarises chapters and gives you the key points.
How easy is it to use?
I would say it’s pretty straightforward. The layout of the app is pretty good and it’s simple to use. From inside a book, it lets you alter the size of the text, and the brightness of your screen. There’s a button that allows you to choose your chapter too, similar to a contents page. It even gives you the option of having it read to you! There’s a search bar, and you get the option to add a book onto a “waiting list” of some sort.
How much variety is there?
There’s a lot of variety in terms of genre. In the home page, it’s sorted out into categories. From Self-Help to Political Science to Suspense and Thrillers. There’s quite a mix although I have to say, there’s not many books at the moment to choose from but they are constantly updating it. I recognise a few titles and I’ll list them below:
- Paper Towns by John Green (It’s a bit random to find this mixed in, it’s the only teen book I see in there.)
- Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L James (I honestly don’t know how they’ll be summarising this book…It’s just pages of sex.)
- Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage (I’ve actually read this book.)
- Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee
There’s a bunch of others too, but I can’t be bothered to list them all. Stephen King is there too and some other bestsellers.
- This isn’t free. The app is free but that’s useless. This app requires a monthly subscription fee of $2.99 or £2.29. The first 30 days are free. After that, they’ll automatically deduct the payment from your account unless you’ve cancelled your subscription.
- This app is only available on the Apple App Store.
As an avid reader, I personally dislike this app as I feel that you aren’t able to enjoy novels properly. You won’t be able to read long and pretty descriptions and much will be cut out. However, this may be a great app for nonfiction as it summarises things so you don’t have to read pages and pages of boring text.